This Item Ships Free* | Financing Available
An openback with punch! Features a wider neck and a bronze Deering -06- tone ring. This banjo can be played for bluegrass, clawhammer, or a blend called Clawgrass, named after the style created by Mark Johnson.
What a beautiful looking and sounding openback banjo. It's hard to get one better than this. Steve Martin chooses this model as his primary openback banjo. Now that says something.
Played Steve Martin and by Mark Johnson - the creator of Clawgrass.
Watch and listen below to Steve Martin play his Deering Clawgrass banjo on ABC News.
• An Elegant Neck of our Highest Grade English Walnut
• Intricate Inlays of Abalone and Mother of Pearl
• Mother of Pearl "Clawgrass" Inlay
• Triple Bound Peghead
• High Grade Ebony Fingerboard
• Slender Deering Neck Shape
• Bone Nut
• Nickel Silver Frets
• Adjustable Truss Rod
• Hand set Abalone Trim along the Ivoroid Binding
• Beautifully Hand Carved Heel
• 22 Glued In Nickel Silver Frets
• Deering Planetary Tuners
• Mother of Pearl Tuning Buttons
• Deering Geared 5th String Tuner
• Deering -06- 20 Hole Bell Bronze Nickel Plated Tone Ring
• Premium Violin Grade 3-ply Maple Rim
• Rim Bound with Ivoroid and Abalone
• Black Nickel Engraved Brass Notched Tension Hoop & Tube Flange
• 11” Top Frosted Medium Crown Head
• 11/16" Snuffy Smith Bridge
• 24 Round Hooks and 5/16” Hex Nuts
• Premium Hand Engraving
• Gold & Engraved True Tone Tailpiece
• Hand Engraved & Pierced Armrest
• 24 Karat Gold Plating on All Hardware
With the exceptionally brilliant tone, quality and playability it’s more than just a show piece, it’s a banjo player’s dream come true.
• Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/3”
• Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4”
• Diameter 12”
• Overall Instrument Length 37 1/2”
• Weight Approx. 9 lbs
Includes a Deering Hardshell
The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Deering banjo a Lifetime Warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship.
Here's a double whammy of Clawgrass banjos with Mark Johnson and Steve Martin playing together on the David Lettermen Show!
Below is a video taken from the NAMM 2013 convention of Mark Johnson playing the tune John Wilkes Booth on his Deering Clawgrass banjo with Emory Lester (guitar) and Joel Landsberg of the Kruger Brothers (bass).
The new Deering Tony Trischka Silver Clipper 5 string banjo is here! This is a monster of a banjo. The Tony Trischka Silver Clipper is... View full product details